To get to the user management screen select the Admin module and then Users.
The admin security group is required in order to access the users page.
User Management has multiple tabs not all of them are necessarily related to Users! You can treat it as a general management portal. To actually manage your users select the first tab Users.
The top part of the tab has a number of filters that you can use to restrict the list of users. This can be useful if you have a lot of users. You can also use it to verify which users are assigned to a particular project or role. You can filter on:
- Security group
- ident. This is readonly. Once a user has an ident with which they logon to the system then this cannot be changed.
- Name. The user name.
- Current Organisation. If you have organisation administration privilege then you can move a user to a different organisation.
- Enterprise. If you have the enterprise administration privilege then you can move a user to a different enterprise.
- Email. Set the users email address.
If you are editing a user then you will see a reset password checkbox that allows you to change their password.
Alternatively if you are creating a new user then you will see radio buttons and can select:
- Send email to new user,
- or Specify password.
If you select “send email” then the new user will get an email asking them to set their own password. You should use this option when creating analyst or admin users. If you select specify password then you can set the password for the new user. This may be appropriate if you are creating “enumerator” users.
Admin and Analyst users have access to collected data and should all have their own accounts that they do not share. In addition they should specify strong passwords.
However if the user only has enumerator privilege then you may decide to allow multiple enumerators to share the same account. This may simplify administration of devices shared by multiple users.
Specify the security groups that they user belongs to. These include:
- admin: Can manage users and passwords
- analyst: Can view, modify or delete collected data.
- enum: Can download surveys and submit data
- manage data: Can access the console
- manage tasks: Can create and manage tasks
- org admin. Organisational Administrator. Can create and move between organisations.
- enterprise admin. Can create and move between enterprises.
- security. Can create and assign security roles
- view data. Can view data but not modify it.
- view own data. Can view their own data, that is data records that they submitted.
The view own data security group can currently only be used to access data using the data API (Survey Data in JSON). However if the user also has the “manage” security privilege then they can see their data in the console.
Refer to Organisational Hierarchy for an overview of how these security groups can be used to compartmentalise data.
Users will only be able to access forms that are in the projects they have been given access to. This can be used to prevent enumerators and analysts access forms that they are not working on. However users with the admin security group can always give themselves access to any project.